Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Official Stance on CMake Adoption
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-01 11:51:23

Michael Ainsworth wrote
> What is the official stance on CMake adoption? Is if simply a fork in the
> development, or will all of Boost eventually be built using CMake?

I don't think that Boost has an "official" position on CMake. Actually,
Boost doesn't have very many "official positions" on anything - that's one
reason we love it!

Speaking for myself.

I include CMake files as part of the serialization library. It doesn't
conflict with boost in any way. I use it to build and test the boost
serialization library every day. For more about this, see "Simple Tools" in
the Boost library incubator. I encourage others to follow this practice. I
can't predict the future, but I see a big future for CMake in boost.

Some years ago, there was a very large effort to switch boost to use CMake.
This was a failure. I believe that this was due to the manner that this
effort was attempted rather than any inherent issues related to CMake
itself. Not that CMake doesn't have issues - I've found that all the
build/test systems have them.

I see a big future for CMake in boost.

Robert Ramey