Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] std::shared_ptr with Boost >= 1.53
From: beet (r.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-04 13:54:24

Hi Michael,

> If it's me making that decision, I opt for progression, not
> regression, making it work for 1.58+. There may be good reasons for
> considering 1.53 still, breaking changes, etc, however.

I would personally certainly prefer using solely the newest versions of
Boost. However, installation of our library (the Geneva library of
distributed optimization algorithms -- see http://launchpad.net/geneva)
already requires a fair deal of hand-work (i.e. compilation of the
Geneva code, usually). I do not want force users to have to compile
different Boost versions for different versions of Geneva. And Boost
1.53 is still the default version in some common Linux distributions
with a large installed base.

So if I have the choice of a) forcing the user to always install the
newest Boost version or b) having to go through some pains myself to
make older Boost versions work with our code, I opt for simplicity on
the side of the user.

Best Regards,
Ruediger