Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] std::shared_ptr with Boost >= 1.53
From: beet (r.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-04 14:20:40

Am 04.05.15 um 20:04 schrieb Michael Powell:
>> So if I have the choice of a) forcing the user to always install the
>> newest Boost version or b) having to go through some pains myself to
>> make older Boost versions work with our code, I opt for simplicity on
>> the side of the user.
>
> Notwithstanding logistical concerns...

By which you refer to #ifdef-orgies ? These can be bad (as I had to
learn when we ported the code to MSVC), agreed.

Supporting multiple Boost-versions was usually rather painless so far,
though, with only a few minor problems. And our current
"std::shared_ptr"-problems are triggered solely by my decision to be
progressive and to support C++11 only in the future (as of the current
trunk version of Geneva) :-) .

And I rather feel that, if I do this, I don't want to go half way. So I
have replaced all boost::shared_ptr with std::shared_ptr in Geneva
(1.7x). boost.bind has gone away (mostly replaced by C++11-lambdas) and
I'm working on std::thread (for which I need to implement the
interrupt() functionality of boost::thread .

Best Regards,
Ruediger