Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [IPC Named Mutex]
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-28 06:13:17

On 27 May 2015 at 18:00, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:

> > Given that the failure was somewhere related to directory names, what's
> > probably happening is that it's trying to find the name of its shared
> > directory. For that it evidently wants to use the boot time, as it's a
> > value that should be identical for all processes started since the last
> > reboot, but different between reboots (to avoid getting stale data).
>
> Yes, that's the idea. Obtaining this "unique" identifier between reboots
> that remains stable between all processes it's been incredibly
> difficult. Any alternative or suggestion is welcome.

On Windows you can mark a filing system entry as always deleted on
close. Such an entry will be deleted on close no matter what,
including power loss and filesystem corruption (the chkdsk with
delete such still existing items).

If you therefore need a synchronisation object to exist only for this
boot cycle and to always disappear in the next boot cycle, delete on
close is an excellent way of doing it. Why the Windows Temp files
don't default to delete on close is beyond me (you can also unset
delete on close at any time on an open file handle).

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/