Subject: Re: [Boost-users] How to fetch boost libraries and their dependencies from github via CMake
From: Michael (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-30 07:23:06

On May 30, 2015 5:24:49 AM EDT, Gonzalo BG <gonzalobg88_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>I started giving it a try with Boost.DynamicBitset but I discovered
>another
>two issues:
>
>- the boost libraries do not use git tags for marking the version used
>in
>the boost release
>
>It would help if the release version of each boost library was tagged
>on
>its master branch (e.g. tag: 1.58). This can be worked around by using
>exact commit hashes as a reference. Finding these commits (e.g. through
>the
>modular boost superproject is extra work).

Totally agree re: tagging. Parent project should tag.

I suspect however that you may find tagging coverage for contributed projects, though helpful, will be spotty at best; i.e. Boost.Contributed tag '1.0.0' (by some tagging naming convention). I'd highly encourage its use though. Meanwhile though a little more effort hashes can be mined.

Especially when there are breaking changes that contributors aren't necessarily ready to roll with yet. Modules can reference specific versions I believe (could be wrong, I am a git novice myself).

Anyway that's my git style guide two cents. HTH and good luck!