Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Interprocess support for Pipe
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-12 11:35:12

On 6/12/2015 11:15 AM, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
> El 12/06/2015 a las 12:43, Boris Schäling escribió:
>
>> There is a create_pipe() function in what's usually called Boost.Process
>> (not an official Boost library - work in progress for roughly 10 years
>> ;) - see
>> <http://www.highscore.de/boost/process0.5/boost/process/create_pipe_id341354.html>.
>>
>> However you can't use the pipe for asynchronous I/O on Windows. Someone
>> else worked on a named pipe for Boost two years ago (see
>> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/243397>). But I
>> haven't heard anything about it lately.
>
> Boris, Boosters, would it be a good idea to add some Boost.Process
> utilities to Boost.Interprocess? I'm thinking about process launching
> and pipes.

Named pipes are an interprocess mechanism. However named pipes can be
synchronous or asynchronous and the asynchronous named pipe methodology
is always needed for multi-threaded programs in my experience ( I wrote
a named pipe asynchronous mechanism as part of my last consulting job ).
Perhaps interprocess can use ASIO for the asynchronous portion of a
named pipe implementation.