Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [asio] async udp socket latency
From: Andrew Hundt (athundt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-02 22:58:02

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Andrew Hundt <athundt_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Jonathan Franklin <
> franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Andrew Hundt <athundt_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> runs again? It is 10ms on a number of platforms, which may cause you
>>> grief if you're trying to do something (asynchronously) more frequently
>>> than that, i.e. 5 ms.
>>>

> Very interesting! Thread priority could explain it since the async calls
> yield when they are done and the sync would be returned by the underlying
> system call at the right time. Thanks!

Interestingly enabling realtime mode with `thread_policy_set()` didn't fix
the problem, and actually increased the variation. I'm sure I could pick
parameters that would reduce variation, but I don't think it would solve
the 8ms problem.
mean = 8.000 [ms], std = 0.176, max/min = 17.615/0.059; 6999 iter.

Cheers!
Andrew Hundt