Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.DLL formal review is ending soon - submit your reviews
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-14 11:32:06

On 7/14/15 6:57 AM, Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Lee Clagett <forum_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:forum_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> My other question was about the header-only design. Is there a
> reason why all of the code is being exported into the users
> codebase? Is it necessary? I think this should be a compiled +
> linked library, or it should be explained in the rationale.
>

> I've been thinking about this... The cost of having the library
> header-only in this case is symbol pollution, bringing lots of otherwise
> encapsulated information.
>
> Maybe non-header-only solution would be "cleaner" from a user's point of
> view?

This is a recurring issue with boost libraries. Header only makes for a
convenient library for many users - just include the header and try it
out. On the other hand, for a large project where one is willing to
invest more effort, a compiled library is attractive. I believe that
for many libraries, it's possible to make the library such that one
could have both by providing different #include for each type. This
comment applies not to just this library but to others as well. Of
course it wouldn't apply to all libraries. I would love to seem someone
invest some effort to see if this is possible for this or some other
library. Then if such an experiment were successful, we'd write up an
article about it and include it in the boost body of work.

Robert Ramey