Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1_59_0_b1_rc1 regression in spirit::qi
From: Lee Clagett (forum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-14 15:51:22

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Oswin Krause <
Oswin.Krause_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2015-07-14 05:54, Marshall Clow wrote:
>
>> Release candidate files for 1.59.0 beta 1 are available at
>> http://boost.cowic.de/rc/ [1]
>>
>> As always, the release managers would appreciate it if you download
>> the candidate of your choice and give building it a try. Please report
>> both success and failure, and anything else that is noteworthy.
>>

> Boost compiles fine, OS Arch Linux, x86_64.
>
> However, i got a regression in my software using boost::spirit::qi
>
> See attached the program (i guess it does not qualify minimal, but i do
> not have time to trace it further), output of g++/valgrind for boost 1.58
> and for 1.59. There seems to be a signed/unsigned comparison issue and
> valgrind detects a conditional jump that depends on unintialized memory. In
> my code this showed up as 4 values read from the parsed file have wrong
> values albeit the 200 or so other values before and after are fine.
>
> Best,
> Oswin

I found the issue, and issued a pull request to fix it. Joel let me know if
you want a test case; a variable currently unitialized (presumably
intentionally) would have to be value-initialized to make it reliably catch
this particular case (and then it could suppress errors if the float is
`0`).

Lee