Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [afio] Formal review of Boost.AFIO
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-26 07:11:26

It isn't
> and won't be > until 1.61 at the very earliest, and will still be modified after > > > release
because

> > It is using cutting edge tools.
>
> > It is breaking new ground and will be changes by C++ Standard, Library and compiler changes.
>
> > Personally, I don't believe that Incubator is the right way to speed > development of this
software.

> Hmmm - why not?

I think it will never take off until 'official'. That is most unreasonable, but a fact of life.

> > I think we need to alter the Boost review and acceptance process.

> In what way?

Having two 'status' flags:

 * mature and 'standard' - stable and bug-free (we hope).
 * 'experimental' - usable but still be being improved.

The C++ Standards people have started to accept the need for 'experimental' status.

(Of course, the 'status' is really a continuum, not a bool).

My main reason is that I believe that people won't use libraries until they are in the release.

And without lots of users ("first encounter with the enemy") , you don't find if things are really
useful or not.

IMO, too many Boost reviews are by far too few people and with too little real-life use.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse