Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [afio] Formal review of Boost.AFIO
From: Hickman, Steve (AdvTech) (Steve.Hickman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-08-26 15:38:59

I'm an avid user of Boost, and this is the first I've heard of the Incubator. If you want people to use it, you need to make it clearly accessible from the Boost.org website. I suspect that I am not alone in that I never thought to look for an incubator for Boost. The only experimental Boost software I'm currently using is some lat/lon experimental code for Boost.Geometry. And I only know about that because I stumbled onto it. I would probably use more experimental code (like Boost.DLL) if I knew how to access it.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of Boost users, while they appreciate the quality of the libraries, probably have no clue about the approval process. So they may not think to look for things that aren't easily accessible from the Boost.org website.

I understand the desire to uphold the high standards to which Boost has heretofore subscribed - and I agree with that. I also agree that 'given enough eyes, all bugs are shallow'. Any mechanism that can easily increase the number of effective eyeballs while maintaining high quality standards should be considered.

---
Steve H.