Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] Boost.Fiber mini-review September 4-13
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-05 15:06:35

>> give
>>
>> We don't have a fiber_manager so we don't need to solve this problem.
>
> but you told us that you use TLS in your fibers and it is completely safe
> to migrate the fibers to other threads?!
> how do you achieve that a migrated fiber accesses the correct object,
> stored in TLS, of the current thread
> and not the object of the thread the fiber was migrated from?

I said that in certain contexts it is possible/useful to use TLS even from inside user code running on a fiber. Granted, those use cases are not very common.

HPX itself uses TLS to store

a) a reference to the current scheduler responsible for the particular kernel-thread, and
b) a reference to the currently active (running) fiber object.

Both uses are safe as they are maintained by the runtime.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu