Subject: Re: [Boost-users] parallelised ODE solvers
From: Vihan Pandey (vihanpandey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-01 06:29:02

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reply, I will check the links out.

Thanks and Cheers!

- vihan

On 1 October 2015 at 14:49, Mario Mulansky <mario.mulansky_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi vihan,
>
> On Monday, September 28, 2015 11:02:21 AM Vihan Pandey wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am trying to integrate a simple 2 variable ODE system. I wanted to know
> > which of the solvers listed here :
> >

> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/numeric/odeint/doc/html/boost_nume
> > ric_odeint/getting_started/overview.html
> >
> > are parallelised for multicore CPU’s and GPU’s? Perhaps using Thrust for
> > the Nvidia/CUDA GPU end of things?
>
> odeint provides parallelization backends for explicit steppers (RK methods)
> based on CUDA (via thrust) [1], OpenCL [2] and OpenMP/MPI [3].
>

> > I am principally interested if someone has managed to make/port a library
> > for parallelised RK45 methods. Please note in later work I plan on having
> > more ODE's - probably systems of 12-15 parameters though they will be all
> > be first order equations.
>
> In my experience, parallelization only makes sense if you have at least
> ~100
> variables for CPUs, and at least ~100000 for GPUs. For smaller problems you
> might be able to get some performance improvements by using SIMD [4,5].
>
> Best,
> Mario
>
> [1]
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/numeric/odeint/doc/html/boost_numeric_odeint/tutorial/using_cuda__or_openmp__tbb_______via_thrust.html
> [2]
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/numeric/odeint/doc/html/boost_numeric_odeint/tutorial/using_opencl_via_vexcl.html
> [3]
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/numeric/odeint/doc/html/boost_numeric_odeint/tutorial/parallel_computation_with_openmp_and_mpi.html
> [4]
> http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/841136/Boosting-ODE-simulations-with-Boost-odeint-and-Boo
> [5] http://www.italiancpp.org/dettagli-meetup-firenze-2015/#cpu-power
>

> > Thanks and Cheers!
> >
> > - vihan

``Skepticism is healthy only to a limited extent. Being skeptical about
proofs and programs (particularly your own) will probably keep your grades
healthy and your job fairly secure. But applying that much skepticism will
probably also keep you shut away working all the time, instead of letting
you get out for exercise and relaxation. Too much skepticism is an open
invitation to the state of rigor mortis, where you become so worried about
being correct and rigorous that you never get anything finished.
-A skeptic"
Taken from Concrete Mathematics by Graham, Knuth, and Patashnik