Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Negative effect of expected-to-fail tests in compiler development projects.
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-12-14 13:23:16

> Yes, it's a compiler bug, but usually for the vast majority of
> negative tests compiler produces error messages.
> The problem is that those messages are irrelevant for my purpose.
> I need to filter them out to be focused only on false error messages
> from positive tests which indicate compiler bug.
> My goal is to find compiler bugs, not source code bugs, and I do not
> need negative tests for that.
> Concerning compiler bugs related to successful compilation of
> incorrect code.
> That type of bugs though important, but are pretty rare, and usually
> on earlier stages of compiler implementations,
> they are not first priority.

I understand all that, but remember that this is written by volunteers,
and that we have no real need for what you want to do - our aim is to
test source code and catch regressions, not to test compilers as such.
So I'm afraid you'll probably have to patch things yourself :(

How about gutting the contents of of the compile-fail rule in
tools/build/src/tools/testing.jam?

HTH, John.