Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Feedback boost conan binary packages
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-12-30 12:05:06

On 29 December 2015 at 13:04, Luis <lasote_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dear Boost Users,
>
> Disclaimer: I am founder and developer of conan.io C++ package manager.
> Please note that it is just a FOSS project, MIT license, fully
> decentralized, and although I'd like to promote the tool and receive
> feedback about it, there are already channels for that conversation in the
> github repos.
>
> What I'd really like is to get feedback about the Boost packages I am
> creating and maintaining in conan. I have generated almost 190 different
> binary packages for Boost versions 1.57-1.60 (
> https://www.conan.io/search?q=Boost%20AND%20user:lasote) for Linux, Win,
> Mac and different flavours of compilers (gcc 4.7-5.3, VS12-14) and settings
> (Debug, Release).
>
> You can read a quick getting started on such Boost packages in:
> http://docs.conan.io/en/latest/examples/boost.html
>
> If someone has been able to try it, I'd like to know several things:

I couldn't use it in a real case yet, mine are apparently too advanced for
now, but I like
most principles behind this tool.

> - whether it is interesting to have pre-compiled packages or you always
> prefer to build from source (i.e. always using the --build option in
> conan). So far there are about 200 downloads of binary packages, but
> probably many people prefer to build from source.

For me it depends on the kind of project AND on the dependency.
For boost specifically, I have one big private project which uses the
static binaries
that I build myself because I ended up fixing code there (and reported it)
and
for this project I need to be able to fix the dependencies at all cost.
In another open source project I use boost both as shared and static
libraries (it's a super project)
so both are useful, but for this I don't rebuild boost, I just use a
distributed version,
so that it's the project's code that workaround issued from the boost
version.

So to me it's important to be able to build from source, but sometime it's
helpful to have binaries.

> - It has dependencies to already existing zlib and bzip2 conan packages
> (can be shared or static). Are you fine with these? Any other Boost
> dependencies missing that you would like to automate?

I believe libraries like boost.locale and boost,propertytree have other
dependencies,
like icu and tinyxml, but I'm not sure how they are currently managed.

> - It is probably the largest package so far, have you experienced slow
> downloads?

I'll report when I try to use boost with conan.
I think only a few people did this for now as conan is very new and only
recent new project will consider using it in it's current state.