Subject: Re: [Boost-users] download from sourceforge?
From: Daniel Hofmann (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-05 18:56:23

SourceForge has been controversial in the last month due to them
bundling malware and other dubious incidents [0] [1]. I would recommend
against running some random executable from that site!

That said, there is a Github project [2] with its main boost repository,
from which you can build a local Boost yourself. I did this a few month
ago, as I not want to download Boost from SourceForge at all.

A word of caution: you have to recursively clone a lot of repositories;
I think in the end it's in the 1G-2G following the steps outlined in the
docs.

Also note that the boost repository's "Releases" [3] are not releases
that are usable or from which you can build a local Boost. I learned
that the hard way, and had to ask on IRC about that.

Moving forward, I would love to see improvements in the distribution
process. I would love the main landing page [4] to be served over https,
to have checksums, or even signed releases. And I would love Boost to
move off of SourceForge in the long term. Or better as fast as possible.

[0] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9623142
[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9692033
[2] https://github.com/boostorg
[3] https://github.com/boostorg/boost/releases