Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] [Fit] formal review starts today
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-15 13:17:16

Lee Clagett-2 wrote
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:47:21 +0000 (UTC)
> paul Fultz <

> pfultz2@

> > wrote:
>>
>> I think at one point Hana was considering using Fit library. However,
>> there are differences. Fit is SFINAE-friendly, space-optimized, lazy
>> evaluated, and portable, to name a few key differences. Fit also has
>> a much smaller scope than Hana. I can go on into more detail about
>> these differences if you like.
>
> It was wrong of me to mention Hana again. The only overlap that I was
> thinking of at the time was the lambda library. It bothers me that
> Boost is maintaining Bind, Phoenix, and Lambda ... now Hana and
> possibly Fit with some overlap in this specific domain. Although Hana
> and Fit are much smaller in scope compared to the other Boost libraries
> in this domain.
>
> Lee

The Functional part of Hana really should be a separate library. It is not
used much in the implementation anymore, and it is arguably out of scope
for the library. If Fit is accepted, I would like to remove the Functional
part
of Hana and point users to Fit in a future version of the library. So I
think
we should really not consider Hana and Fit as conflicting in this regard.

Regards,
Louis