Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Documentation for Boost Range
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-17 15:08:53

On 16 May 2016 at 10:08, Christian Aichinger <Greek0_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Boost Range is a cool library, but it's sometimes hard to see how to
> actually use it: which headers to include, how to call it, what the return
> types are.
Missing specification of headers or return types would be defects in
the reference documentation. I've fixed a few. I did some spot checks
and found the expected information. If you have specifics that would
be very helpful as they should all be corrected.

> To improve this situation, I wrote full, self-contained code examples for
> each function in Boost Range. They are available at:
>
> https://greek0.net/boost-range
>
> The examples also include links to the official docs and the into the
> library's source code, as well as a list of headers that give access to a
> specific function.
>
> I hope it's useful for other people as well. If you have any ideas for
> improvement, please let me know.

I have spent a few minutes looking through the examples and they look
fabulous. Adding examples can only be a good thing. I'd like to ensure
that the reference documentation is not deficient as one effort, and
to incorporate your examples as another. I have noted on the thread
that there was concern the work might be rejected. This is not the
case. So long as the work is correct we'll get it in. My preference is
to have a git fork that I can simply merge in.

I already have a number of examples included in the bjam that are
tested with the regression tests. My examples look nowhere near as
beautiful. It would be ideal if I also migrated these onto the tooling
you have built. I'd like to have all of the output looking as
beautiful.

> Kind regards,
> Chris

Thank you very much for your hard work. I'll try and assist where I
can, but at the very least keep out of the way so that I'm not
becoming a problem.

Regards,
Neil Groves