Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Rebooting Boost: Call for Lightning Talks @ CppCon
From: John Phillips (johnphillipsithaca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-22 23:05:47

On 05/22/2016 07:18 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> At C++ Now a number of informal meetings showed there to be
> frustrations with the current ecosystem around the Boost C++
> Libraries (to paraphrase a founder of Boost, "Boost is supposed to
> serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve
> Boost's community*".

... <snip> ...

I have been a (minor, but long running) contributor to Boost for quite a
while, and while I don't have the time to comment individually on all
the various discussions happening on different ways to evolve Boost, I
do want to make one general comment.

I agree that Boost should serve the entire C++ community. In fact, I
would like to see all capable members of the C++ community find ways to
serve the community. However, my experience in the last nearly 20 years
of service to that community is that almost no two people agree on what
is and is not a service to the community. I have, in that time, found no
value in arguing with people that my idea of service is better than theirs.

As such, I root for all attempts at service to succeed. To find at least
some segment of the community for which that service honestly improves
the language and the quality of code being produced in the language.

So, if you want to serve by trying something new and different - I wish
you well. If you want to serve by doing something tried and true, I
again have nothing but respect for your desire to serve, and hope for
you to succeed. If you want to try to work within existing projects to
try and tweek them toward some direction you find more likely to
succeed, once again you have my support for your desire to make a
difference.

I will make my own choices of what to lead or follow, based on my own
(admitedly limited) understanding of the needs of the community, and of
my own skills and interests. I expect all others to do the same. I will
only object if I feel people are somehow being forced to work against
their desires and understanding.

I see no reason for strained tempers and acrimony in any part of this.

John Phillips
Boost Review Wizard

PS - Though I have held a position in Boost for many years, this
statement should be seen only as my own. No "official" representation of
any part of Boost, or of Ron Garcia (the other Review Wizard) should be
read into this statement. I signed with my position only to make it
clear that I have put some time and personal stake into Boost, and I am
not talking from no experience of the community.