Subject: [Boost-users] RFC : About forking a C++11 standard library and adapt it to C++98 compilers
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-02 18:09:00

Hi,

Some of us have to work yet with C++98 compiler at work (due to well
know reasons) and this for a long time. This is a reality.

I was wondering about forking a public domain C++11/14/17 standard
library and adapt it to C++98 compilers. This library could be seen as
another TR1, an extension of the C++03 standard library.

Does this make any sens? Would this project be of interest for the
Boost/C++ community?

I have not a clear idea of the cost of doing this work, how it should be
done, what would be the limitations, ... but I'm sure that this would be
quite useful on the projects that are forced to use C++98 and an
excellent bridge to those that will move from C++98 to C++11 compilers.

There are some Boost libraries that could be used to reduce the
limitations, as Boost.Config/Predef, Boost.Move, ...and others that
could be used as inspiration on how to implement them using C++98.

Anyway, if you find that this will be useful to you at your work we will
need your participation. Would you be interested in working on it?

as a Boost community project?

outside Boost, as an independent project?

Comments and suggestion welcome.

Best,

Vicente

P.S. The same can be done for C++14 standard libraries and the future
standard C++17 libraries

P.S.S. The same can be done for C++14 libraries and the future C++17
libraries but this time adapting to C++11 compilers (this will be much
easier but the concerned community will be quite different ).