Subject: Re: [Boost-users] iostreams: ceased devolopment?
From: Alex Olivas (olivas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-06 09:55:01

On 06/04/2016 02:23 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 6/4/16 10:14 AM, Alex Olivas wrote:
>> A co-maintenance model is definitely going to be a feature of the BLOM
>> project, since this same issue has come up for other libraries with
>> authors who are currently actively maintaining them, but would welcome
>> help. On my todo list is to add that option to the BLOM site.
>> Alex.
>
> I would be careful about this. I believe that a key requirement
> for library maintenance is assignment and acceptance of responsibility
> authority by/to one specific, publicly identifiable person. That
> person can parcel out authority for fixing different things to
> different people. Indeed this happens all the time (e.g. github prs)
> but one person has to act as the gate keeper. If this is not
> done, persons will conflict, problems will be everyone's problem
> rather than my problem and things will peter out to standstill.
>
> So consider just tweaking the authority of the BLOM to include the
> delegation of fixes to persons he deems suitable.

I definitely agree and I should probably have been clearer about what
the co-maintenance model might look like.

This is what I'm thinking...

For libraries where the current maintainer would welcome BLOM help, the
current maintainer would be the sole person responsible for maintenance
of the library. Any BLOMs would be resources the maintainer could
enlist to help out with maintenance in a support role. I'll make a
point to make this clear to both maintainers and BLOMs.
Alex.