Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [release] Boost 1.62.0 Beta 1
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-05 14:20:14

On 05/09/2016 17:33, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> <mailto:grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>>:
>
> At minimum the Fiber build file should avoid building on platforms
> it doesn't support. It does that for the tests with the following:
>
> [ requires cxx11_auto_declarations
> cxx11_constexpr
> cxx11_defaulted_functions
> cxx11_final
> cxx11_hdr_tuple
> cxx11_lambdas
> cxx11_noexcept
> cxx11_nullptr
> cxx11_rvalue_references
> cxx11_template_aliases
> cxx11_variadic_templates ]
>
> But doesn't do the same for the libs/fiber/build/jamfile.v2.
> Oliver you should add that requires to the "boost_fiber" lib target.
>

> thx for the hint. I've pushed the commit.
> without a clean checkout --reconfigure as to be applied to b2
> (otherwise cached check results are used)

That stops it from trying to be built with any msvc version prior to
14.0 update 3, which fixes most of the errors users will see.

Static library builds with VC14 are OK, but shared library builds fail with:

M:\data\boost\boost\boost/fiber/context.hpp(153): error C2492:
'boost::fibers::context::active_': data with thread storage duration may
not have dll interface
M:\data\boost\boost\boost/fiber/context.hpp(153): error C2492: 'private:
static boost::fibers::context * boost::fibers::context::active_': data
with thread storage duration may not have dll interface

I guess since the std says nothing about shared libraries, you're into
implementation defined behaviour here? Do these variables need to be
exported from the dll as part of the interface or are they
implementation details?

Either way a quick fix for this release would be to disable shared lib
builds for msvc.

HTH, John.