Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] Runtime overhead of serialization archives
From: Georg Gast (georg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-24 23:42:04

Am 22.09.2016 um 22:38 schrieb Chris Glover:

> For what it's worth, in tests I've done in the past, binary
> serialization using boost.serialization and other similar systems was
> not this big of a difference compared to memcpy. I was seeing maybe a 5x
> to 10x difference compared to memcpy (yours is 50x).
>
> Of course, this depends on a lot of factors, like how much data this is
> because it would determine if you are memory bound or not, but I am
> wondering if your cstyle tests are actually being completely optimized
> away. Have you examined the disassembly? If you find the code is being
> optimized away, Google Benchmark has a handy "benchmark::DoNotOptimize"
> function to help keep the optimizer from throwing away the side effects
> of a particular address.

Hi,
i have prepared a comparison of the same code between linux and windows
(msvc). There is such a huge gap between linux and windows.

I am not sure, if i should post the images to this mailing list. AFAIK
is it seen as bad behaviour to post non text to this list, so i added
the link.

https://www.schorsch-tech.de/doku.php?id=c:boost_serialization&#windows

Has anyone an idea why this is the case? Look at this diagrams, i cant
explain whats happening here. its on the same maschine on bare metal (no
VM).

  Georg