Subject: [Boost-users] boost::asio cross-library link issue
From: Stanley Friesen (friesens_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-03 10:32:32

We are using Boost 1.54. The issue i have is a strange problem with the ASIO
library.

We have two libraries build using ASIO from Boost 1.54 (libpcl and one of
our own libraries). For some reason, despite being built with the same
version of boost, the layout of class task_io_service differs between the
two libraries. The member function instantiations are in the libraries as
weak symbols, so we do not get a link error, but which version of each
function that is called from any given place is unpredictable, and varies
when we change out own code. In particular, at least op_queue_ and all
following members have offsets that differ by 8 bytes (the size of a 64-bit
pointer) between the two builds. The result is that sometimes the op_queue
back pointer is corrupted (by the other version setting stopped_), or the
stop flag is not seen because it was set by the other build. The result is
either that run() returns immediately without doing anything, or out
application crashes from trying to dereference an invalid pointer. (Often
what is supposed to be a NULL back pointer is set to 1, which does not
compare equal to NULL).

I have looked for conditionally compiled elements in task_io_service,
op_queue, and epoll_reactor with no luck. I can see no reason the two
library builds should end up with different class layouts.

So, does anybody have any clue what might be happening here? Or how to go
about fixing the problem?

[I hesitate to try forcing strong symbols in our library, since this would
break libpcl, due to many functions being inline].