Subject: Re: [Boost-users] std::future::wait_for() not working in Boost UDP socket async receive operation
From: TONGARI J (tongari95_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-29 05:09:30

> On 29/11/2016 16:26, TONGARI J wrote:
>
>> The problem only happens if you have previous timeout.
>> You can call socket.cancel() in the timeout branch.
>>
>> I think the problem is that, if you don't call socket.cancel() on
>> timeout, in the next round you're calling async_receive_from before the
>> previous call completes, which is not allowed.
>>

> Note that even if you call cancel(), you still aren't allowed to
> immediately call async_receive_from() again.
>
> You need to cancel *and then* wait without timeout for the future to be
> ready before you can make another request. This should be fast (since
> you're just waiting for the cancellation to complete) but may not be zero
> time.
>
> (If you were using completion handlers rather than futures, this is
> equivalent to waiting for the handler to be called with a cancellation
> error before making another request.)

I think we're wrong about whether it's allowed to call async_receive_from()
multiple times before it completes.
It was from my impression that we can't do that, but skimming over the ASIO
docs I found nothing says that.
Experiments show that it works, so I think my argument in this regard was
wrong, at least ASIO itself does not enforce the restriction.

So calling socket.cancel() w/o waiting the cancellation to complete should
be OK.