Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost 1.63 fails to build with zlib and bzip2 in different directories
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-05 15:15:48

AMDG

On 01/05/2017 12:42 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 1/5/2017 12:42 PM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
>> <snip>
>> That will have the same problem. The bug
>> is at a pretty low level. It will trigger
>> regardless of how you specify the paths.
>
> Does that mean that the bug is a Boost Build bug ?

Yes.

> In my own user-config.jam on Windows I can specify:
>
> using zlib : 1.2.8 : <source>E:/Utilities/zlib/zlib-1.2.8 ;
> using bzip2 : 1.0.6 : <source>E:/Utilities/bzip2/bzip2-1.0.6 ;
>
> in order to build from source and this does work. Does that mean that
> the bug only occurs when specifying the already built binary include and
> library paths as opposed to building from source ?

  That is correct. The bug is in the code that detects
whether the library is linkable. When building from
source, this is irrelevant.

> The iostream build was changed in the past by you and "loonycyborg",
> whoever that is, to use a different way of handling zlib and bzip2. So I
> think that you may know how this problem should be fixed, whether in the
> iostreams build jamfile or in Boost Build.

  The bug is in build/ac.jam. Basically, it
accidentally attempts to share incompatible
components between between the checks for
zlib and bzip2.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe