Subject: [Boost-users] Problems Building Boost 1.63 on Solaris 11.3 x86 with Oracle Developer Studio12.5
From: Shawn Firth (Shawn.Firth_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-12 18:07:35

Ladies and Gentlemen,
We have been using Boost on Windows and HP-UX for over five years.

Recently I have been attempting to build Boost 1.63 on Solaris 11.3 x86 with Oracle Developer Studio12.5.

I started with: ./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/export/home/me/boost_1_63_0 -libdir=/export/home/me/boost_1_63_0/lib --with-toolset=sun

...and that is where I still am. I have been trying every b2 option/configuration that I can file via Google to get Boost 1.63, both with and without C++11, and I am striking out.

The Boost documentation is very terse on Sun builds, however the Boost 1.63 release notes say it has been tested for SunOS: Oracle Solaris Studio 12.5 and Oracle Solaris Studio, C++11 12.5. Here's all that the Boost 1.64 doco has to say about Sun builds:
sun

Oracle

Only very recent versions are known to work well with Boost. Note that the Oracle/Sun compiler has a large number of options which effect binary compatibility: it is vital that the libraries are built with the same options that your appliction will use. In particular be aware that the default standard library may not work well with Boost, unless you are building for C++11. The particular compiler options you need can be injected with the b2 command line options cxxflags=``and ``linkflags=. For example to build with the Apache standard library in C++03 mode use b2 cxxflags=-library=stdcxx4 linkflags=-library=stdcxx4.

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_63_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html

Sun Studio

The sun module supports the Sun Studio<http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/index.jsp> C++ compilers for the Solaris OS.

The module is initialized using the following syntax:

using sun : [version] : [c++-compile-command] : [compiler options] ;

This statement may be repeated several times, if you want to configure several versions of the compiler.

If the command is not specified, Boost.Build will search for a binary named CC in /opt/SUNWspro/bin and in PATH.

When using this compiler on complex C++ code, such as the Boost C++ library<http://boost.org/>, it is recommended to specify the following options when intializing the sun module:

-library=stlport4 -features=tmplife -features=tmplrefstatic

See the Sun C++ Frontend Tales<http://blogs.sun.com/sga/entry/command_line_options> for details.

The following options can be provided, using <option-name>option-value syntax:
cflags

Specifies additional compiler flags that will be used when compiling C sources.
cxxflags

Specifies additional compiler flags that will be used when compiling C++ sources.
compileflags

Specifies additional compiler flags that will be used when compiling both C and C++ sources.
linkflags

Specifies additional command line options that will be passed to the linker.
Starting with Sun Studio 12, you can create 64-bit applications by using the address-model=64 property.
http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/reference/tools.html#bbv2.reference.tools.compiler.sun

Can someone provide me with the user-config.jam and b2 options so that I can successfully build Boost 1.63 on Solaris 11.3 x86 with Oracle Developer Studio12. 3, 4, or 5? Failing user-config.jam and b2 options for Solaris 11 on x86, can you provide me with user-config.jam and b2 options for Solaris 11 on SPARC with Oracle Developer Studio12.3, 4, or 5?

Thank you for your time...

  Shawn Firth
  RG Technology
  Senior Systems Architect
  shawn.firth_at_[hidden]<mailto:shawn.firth_at_[hidden]>
  www.robbinsgioia.com<http://www.robbinsgioia.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail and its attachments are privileged and confidential information and are intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above and those who have been specifically authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly prohibited.

image001.png