Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Generate SSL certificate, chain file, dh and key for boost::asio::ssl::context
From: jupiter (jupiter.hce_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-26 00:32:28

> As for using server certificates and/or client certificates: it really
depends on the application. With TLS, both endpoints of the
> connection *can* identify themselves with a certificate. In general it
makes sense to use a certificate to have the client verify
> the identity of the server. If the server should only accept connections
from trusted users/devices, you could use client
> certificates too. On the other hand, if the server accepts anonymous
connections, there is nothing to be gained from verifying
> the client certificates so you're better off not asking for them in the
first place.

It is a server / client TCP communication, I'll use by port of SSL although
the TLS should also work. Our server should only accept connections from
our trusted client of devices, so I should use the client certificates.

Could you elaborate in what circumstance that is possible "if the server
accepts anonymous connections"? The server does not know who requests a
connection from the SSL port, but the server will accept the connections if
the client certificate and key are valid. I thought as long as the SSL is
used, the server can only accept trusted connections, so I am not quite
understand if the server could accepts an untrusted anonymous connections.

Thanks