Subject: Re: [Boost-users] serialization support for gcc ?
From: Alain Miniussi (Alain.Miniussi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-28 09:04:17

On 27/02/2017 17:06, Robert Ramey via Boost-users wrote:
> On 2/27/17 1:15 AM, Alain Miniussi via Boost-users wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the serialization jam file (master), I see:
>>
>> <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden
>> -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
>> with no mention of gcc version number.
>>
>> gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that
>> the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alain
>
> a) I don't know which is the earliest version of gcc to support
> visibility.
>
> b) Even if I did, I don't know what boost build syntax I would use to
> specify this. - I've only been using boost build for 13 years.
>
> c) FWIW I've never supported gcc versions 3.XX. There a number of
> issues such as support for wide characters.
>
> d) If you want to suggest changes to jam files, I'll probably include
> them without testing them myself. So before submitting them, I'd
> appreciate it if you could run the serialization library tests
> yourself first.
Well, I did a local test removing the feature, the lib itself builds but
the test fails massively, so I think it's probably safer not to touch it
and assume it's not supported. Site stuck with 3.xx should probably
stick to old version of boost I guess.
Specially considering I have been using boost build only when I really
had to and still haven't found its documentation.

Alain