Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [statechart] process_event vs post_event confusion
From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-30 13:52:10

So the specific issue is different from what you have listed.

I have several states that perform a basic task: They register to a
publish/subscribe mechanism in their constructor and send a "command"
that will eventually get a response. This is not threaded, but in a
game-loop type fashion, there is a loop on the main thread that
invokes an update function on the publish/subscribe mechanism, which
eventually results in the registered callback on the state being
invoked later on well after that state was constructed.

When that callback is invoked, the state processes the "response" to
that command sent earlier and transitions to the next state via
post_event() (because originally that's what I thought I had to do
inside the state itself, regardless of whether it was happening in the
constructor or not). In actuality, because post_event() was being
called while the state machine was *not* blocked (because it was
outside the constructor), the event queue was never actually
processed. There is no real way to tell the state to invoke the state
machine to process the event queue at this specific point. So what
happens is I exit the callback and the state transition never happens.

There is no way to invoke processing of the event queue from the state
machine outside of initialize() and process_event(), neither of which
I need to call after the state transitions itself.

The solution for now was to call process_event() from within the
state's callback member function. This resulted in an immediate
transition to the next state prior to exiting the previous state's
callback method.

This is where my feedback comes into play. It's not very intuitive to
see that post_event() is called in state constructors but
process_event() is called in member functions of that same state which
are invoked outside of construction. This is not self documenting.
Like I said, several developers on my team not too familiar with boost
statechart gave reasonable feedback in this regard.

I think from the perspective of self-transitioning states, the
difference between post_event and process_event is moot. The end
result is the same: We transition to the next state. That's the
desired effect. To achieve this effect, the choice between one or the
other could be automated and improve the intuitiveness of the code.
Just my opinion on the matter. Would like to hear back from the author
though on his thoughts, maybe there's already an existing alternative
available that addresses my concerns.