Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What is the effective way to use boost::asio::deadline_timer for udp socket receive_from?
From: TONGARI J (tongari95_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-13 02:11:55

boost-users_at_[hidden]>:

> You are right, I did notice an example code given by
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/doc/html/boost_asio/
> example/timeouts/blocking_udp_client.cpp where the async_receive and
> timer are used. I left this out in my original post because I have lots of
> issues from that example, let me know if you'd like me to have a separate
> post, here are the problems:
>
> (1) That example can only work with an IP address in local machine, if I
> change to a remote machine IP address, it got an error of "Exception: bind:
> Cannot assign requested address'.
>
> (2) If my server is running at the same local machine with the same port
> number, it got an error of "Exception: bind: Address already in use".
>
> How can test that example? I need to add an async_send and I need to run
> it with a local server.

Actually the example doesn't seem correct, it uses async_receive w/o connecting
to a remote endpoint first, while the doc says:

"The async_receive operation can only be used with a connected socket. Use
the async_receive_from function to receive data on an unconnected datagram
socket."

Anyway, the listen_endpoint in the example is a local endpoint which is
bind to the client, this may seem weird as it's actually a server in
traditional sense.