Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Interprocess] uint64 atomic
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-31 20:34:49

On 31/05/2017 20:33, Dk Jack via Boost-users wrote:
> Thanks Ion, Does it mean any size_t value stored in shared memory
> will be updated atomically if I use boost.atomic?

Yes.

> What is the
> difference between Boost.Atomic vs std::atomic?

Boost.Atomic is an implementation of the standard atomic operations that
work in compilers without atomic support and older versions of the
standard. Both should behave similarly and should be interoperable when
"is_lock_free()" is true for both std::atomic<std::size-t> and
boost::atomic<std::size_t>

> Can std::atomic work
> with boost::interprocess?

Yes, it should.

When do you foresee boost.interprocess
> moving to boost.atomic? Thanks

I don't know, it's in my low-priority list since users can use
Boost.Atomic or std::atomic and Interprocess' atomic operations are an
implementation detail that users should not use.

Ion