Subject: Re: [Boost-users] performance tuning on boost version 1_64_0
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-03 13:19:15

From: Boost-users [mailto:boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Connie Zhang via Boost-users
Sent: 02 July 2017 20:34
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
Cc: Connie Zhang

Hello,

I recently upgrade boost version of a visual C++ program from an old version of 1_58_0 to 1_64_0. Compared to the original executable, the newly upgraded one runs very slow (more than 6 times longer) even I disable the debug mode and set the optimization to /ox in visual environment.

The other difference between the old and the upgrade ones is the visual studio version. The old one is on 2010 and the new one 2013.

Anyone has any idea for why it behaves like this? Which kind of performance tuning I need to look into?

Thank you so much for your help!

Well, it isn’t much help, but you will need to provide many more clues before anyone can help.

It isn’t Boost wide or someone else would have noticed.

In general, new compilers are producing better code, so there is no reason to suspect VS compilers generally.

(You don’t seem to be using the most recent VS version and update? Is there a reason?)

Which Boost libraries are being used?

Is it using only headers, or does it use pre-built (or built by you) libraries?

Are you completely sure that it isn’t a debug build? (Even if you think that you told it to optimize?)

HTH

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow