Subject: [Boost-users] Help needed in learning to use Boost.Asio
From: Osman Zakir (osmanzakir90_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-24 08:04:34

I want to learn how to use Boost.Asio so I can then create an abstraction layer over it for HTTP and create a server and client. I need it for a web app I want to make. I know C++ isn’t a good choice for this sort of thing, but it’s still growing and getting better, so I wonder if there’s really no hope for it becoming a better choice for web development. Especially if someone were to propose a networking library for boost that also provides support for the HTTP protocol and maybe also RESTful services out of the box. Libraries in Boost have a high chance of making it into the standard, after all, so this could be a good idea.

I’ve heard from many people that C++ is a waste of time, especially if one wants to get into web development and make a lot of money. Most people who want to web development are abandoning C++ in favor of languages Python that provide better support for web development. I don’t like this and I hope that C++ will also become better for the job soon so that it can pull back programmers that have left it for other languages.

That’s also the reason why I want to use C++ here. I’m hoping that the Networking TS would be standardized and that the standardizing committee would also do something to make C++ overall better for the web, preferably as good as Python if possible. The difficulty of getting into and using C++ is also overly-exaggerated but it seems to be more because of C++ programmers not making their code simple and beautiful enough, so it’s also the language users’ fault. I want to try to change the negative views that people have of C++, as well.

By the way, would it be a good idea to send an email asking about the future of C++, especially for web development, to Dr. Stroustrup if I can find a way to contact him? I know he’s a busy man and I’m also reluctant to this, but since he’s also on the standard-making committee, if he finds some free time to reply to my email, he should be able to tell me what to expect about C++ and its future.

I’m sorry if this email got too long, though. Best regards.