Subject: Re: [Boost-users] (Newbie) Embedded programming, memory pools, and allocate_shared()
From: Steven Boswell II (ulatekh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-12 14:28:44

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:05PM, Michael Powell via Boost-users <boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>What are you targeting? You mentioned C++/CLI, .NET, etc. Windows Embedded?
I'm not using C++/CLI in this project.The only time I mentioned C++/CLI was when trying to answer someone else's question.
The embedded device is something my employer manufactures, but that's irrelevant -- my question is about having to refer to lots of implementation/detail classes just to do something I consider simple and straightforward, i.e. a memory-pool that holds a fixed number of objects of a specific type, which is a pretty standard cliche for embedded programming.
In further tests, I've found that pending socket operations (e.g. the result of async_read_some() and async_write() calls) lead to dynamic memory allocation from within Boost::ASIO, and there's presently no way to override that, though I'm trying to lay in the groundwork for that right now. (It mostly means adding a template-parameter to several classes to identify the allocator to use.) So far, it doesn't look like Boost::ASIO has a complete solution to allocate all necessary memory from pools, and I don't know how much work it'll take to do that, or if such work will be accepted back into the project.
-Steven