Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Adding C++/CLI code to my project makes app crash on startup
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellhtx_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-13 03:20:28

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost-users
<boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 13/12/2017 02:52, Michael Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a native (unmanaged) C++ application that consumes a C# SDK using
>>> C++/CLI wrapper. This is achieved using a wrapper similar to the one
>>> described here:
>>> http://pragmateek.com/using-c-from-native-c-with-the-help-of-ccli-v2/
>>

>> You have the bridge entirely backwards. CLI does not bridge C# to C++.
>> Rather, it bridges C++ to CLI.
>

> It is true that the main intent of C++/CLI is to allow you to more easily
> call native code from a managed application, rather than the reverse.
>
> But the bridge can be used both ways, although there are some caveats
> related to AppDomains, decompilers, delegates, and garbage collection, which
> can surprise people.
>
> You also need to be really careful about what things you put in header files
> when they are being shared between native and managed code.

If, by "caveats", you mean being careful to do native things in an
otherwise CLI/.NET/managed environment, I agree. That was never CLI's
purpose, however, as far as I know it's history to be.

They've even gone as far as to provide "managed" collections support
for the "native" C++, etc, to give you an idea.

Cheers. Good luck!