Subject: Re: [Boost-users] 1.66 changes in layout suffix seems to break cmake finder
From: Stephan Menzel (stephan.menzel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-09 07:29:56

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:37 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost-users <
boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The naming change was intentional to allow 32-bit and 64-bit libraries to
> be built in one pass and to live in the same output directory.
>
> The latter is a common deployment requirement on Windows when shipping
> both 32-bit and 64-bit executables, which previously required workarounds
> such as using custom build ids or moving files to separate directories, and
> also required building Boost twice with different options.

Hello Gavin,

I don't doubt this is intentional but was puzzles me is the apparent lack
of backwards compatibility. When breaking changes like these are
introduced, I would normally expect some kind of switch to temporarily
restore old behavior to give people a chance to adopt. Don't get me wrong,
but this doesn't feel quite 'Boost' to me. I am currently trying to work
with a manual rename and switch of as much autolink magick as possible. See
how that rolls.

Best regards...
Stephan