Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Interval] Help debugging compiler optimization
From: Mário Costa (mario.silva.costa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-07 17:43:29

I don't really understand what you mean.

lets say you have

double v1 = 1.0/3.0;

double computation = v1 * 3;

Using, O2, the compiler might resolve, by performing expression analisys at
compile time, that you have always a constant value of 1/3 * 3 = 1.

Now using O0, it might not optimize, and compute the value at runtime (just
as an example).

Because 1/3 does not fit into any number of bits without lossing precision
(unless you'd be using some symbolic library), multiplying v1 * 3, will
result in a value diferent from 1, that will be the rule.

Another issue Degski mentions, its the error propagation associated with
the order the expressions are evaluated/executed ...