Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::asio blocking socket read with timeout with multiple threads
From: tom_at_[hidden]
Date: 2018-03-19 10:33:46

Attempting to understand the implementation it feels like this could be made to work.

Indeed on Windows, it DOES work. So on Windows, manually setting SO_RCVTIMEO causes the socket_ops::recv call in socket_opts::sync_recv to return a timeout error (boost::asio::error::timed_out I believe). This causes the sync_recv call to return that error, and all is well.

On Linux, the error returned by the socket_ops::recv appears to be boost::asio::error::try_again, and this causes sync_recv to then call poll waiting for the socket to become ready.
Since there are almost certainly other things going on in this loop, other situations and error codes to consider, I can't say for certain, but it feels like there would be some logic here that could make a receive timeout work.