Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::asio blocking socket read with timeout with multiple threads
From: tom_at_[hidden]
Date: 2018-03-22 10:05:36

> This ticket may explain why things are the way they are.

Thanks, I hadn't found that. I've read the thread, though so far I've not understood the actual reason why this isn't provided. The original suggestion was rejected, and fine, that wasn't the way to do it. The author didn't dismiss the concept, just the form.
I've added my plea though.

> Personally, we use deadline_timer and it works (I think)
As I say, so far I've been unable to find a form that works properly with multiple threads, multiple clients etc. It's daft, when a simple modification to the library would provide a built in read deadline. It's doable. It's DONE in the case of a socket_streambuf, just not for a socket. Frustrating.