Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Convert boost::shared_ptr to std::shared_ptr for boost::dll::import
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-13 12:24:31

On 4/13/2018 2:58 AM, Stian Zeljko Vrba via Boost-users wrote:
> What?! Good to know because it seems the friction between boost and its
> std counterparts (also with error_code, etc.) is steadily growing.
>
> Knowing that, I'll have a much lower threshold for _not_ choosing boost
> when evaluating libraries.

The reason some libraries use boost::shared_ptr rather than
std::shared_ptr has nothing to do with supporting VC7.1 at all. The most
obvious reason is that a given library works with code at the c++03
level and does not require c++11 on up. You may feel that this is wrong,
but this is another issue entirely than still having to support VC7.1.

I offered a preprocessor based solution to supporting std::shared_ptr
when it was available as opposed to boost::shared_ptr, along with the
same sort of choice between other boost libraries and their c++ standard
library counterparts, in my CXX Dual library at
https://github.com/eldiener/cxx_dual. But it was not a popular solution
for other Boost library developers and so almost nobody in Boost was
interested in it. I still feel it is an eminently workable solution to
the sort of problem which started this e-mail. But of course it is up to
the individual library developer to decide what he wants to support.