Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Bug when using boost::optional with boost::program_options?
From: Chris Glover (c.d.glover_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-06-05 12:41:16

> > VS2015 has been qualified (quite some time ago already, on reddit) as
> > "buggy" and "to be dropped", because of that, by STL. VS2017 has
> > <optional> and it is ABI-compatible with VS2015.
>
> Good to know. I don't follow Windows dev super closely, so I guess I was
> trying to provide more support for VS2015 than is warranted. :)
>
> - Jim

Regardless of what was written above (or what permeates reddit, etc), most
shops are still using VS2015 or lower, so it does matter, actually.

The fact is that a lot of places are slow to upgrade toolchains because
there's a cost to doing so, regardless of what the vendor recommends. There
are still places using VC6, for example, so I'd wager that the vast
majority of windows devs are not using VS2017.

-- chris