Subject: Re: [Boost-users] building on OS X with custom gcc version
From: Damien (damien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-06-25 16:31:34

On Jun 24, 2018, at 7:02 PM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-users
<boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> Okay. I see what's going on here. Boost.Context
>>> only supports darwin and clang on OSX.
>>>
>>> You can work around the issue by finding this
>>> in libs/context/build/Jamfile.v2:
>>>
>>> # X86_64/SYSV/MACH-O
>>> alias asm_sources
>>> : asm/make_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.S
>>> asm/jump_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.S
>>> asm/ontop_x86_64_sysv_macho_gas.S
>>> : <abi>sysv
>>> <address-model>64
>>> <architecture>x86
>>> <binary-format>mach-o
>>> <toolset>clang
>>> ;
>>>
>>> and making a copy, replacing clang with gcc.
>> This didn’t work, unfortunately the errors are the same as before.
> I assumed that you were building for x86_64. If you're building
> for a different platform, then you'd need to find the alias for
> that architecture, instead.

Actually I'd like to understand what we did wrong.  Just to be clear
because terminology can be different, that's a full 64-bit build for
64-bit Intel architecture, correct?  That is what we were after. Our
build command for a gcc release build was:

./b2 --toolset=gcc-8.1 address-model=64 --stagedir=./stage64release
--build-dir=./build64release --layout=system --without-mpi
variant=release link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared install
--prefix=./osx64release/indep --exec-prefix=./osx64release/bin
--libdir=./osx64release/lib --includedir=./osx64release/include

user-config.jam entry is:

# gcc 8
using gcc
 Â Â Â  : 8.1