Subject: Re: [Boost-users] ASIO: custom service which works with spawn/yield
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-03 11:00:13

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM, Richard Hodges <hodges.r_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I think it's worth mentioning that although your code is very well written
> and laid out, the horrid internals of asio mean that only ultra-experts can
> read it. It really doesn't 'flow'.
>
> Surely something can be done (in asio and networking TS) in terms of
> providing a cleaner, more logical interface for io_object and service
> developers?

I have thought about this for a few years and even made efforts to
provide algorithms and types to make authoring code easier, but they
were not successful. I don't think a "grand unifying theory" exists.
However, I also think there is a LOT of room for documentation to grow
and mature, and there is opportunity for authors to develop strong,
well commented examples (something I strive for in Beast).

With Networking TS as part of C++20 (or later), at last there will be
one correct interface for doing asynchrony. This will incentivize book
publishers and library authors to focus specifically on this
networking interface to provide educational resources.

In my Cppcon 2018 presentation I am also dedicating a couple of slides
with guidance on how to learn Asio effectively and write correct
programs.

Regards