Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Beast vs Boost.Asio
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-04 14:14:32

On 12/4/18 5:47 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost-users wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:50 AM Paul A. Bristow via Boost-users
> <boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Do 'see also' links of the form
>>
>> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/release/doc/html/other_library/... help here
>>
>> help in resolving this?
>>
>> Both libraries could (should even) helpfully cross-link each other?
>
> Beast documentation has extensive cross-links to Boost.Asio docs, for
> example click on return type ("DEDUCED") of these function signatures:
>
> <https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_68_0/libs/beast/doc/html/beast/ref/boost__beast__http__async_read.html>
>
>> A PR that is just a link is much more likely to be accepted than something that needs real effort?
>
> I don't know that it makes sense for asio to link back to beast. And
> that wouldn't be meaningful for the stand-alone version (which shares
> the same docs).

I think that would be mistake you'd regret for the rest of your life.
Cross-linking (in both directions) would effectively make beast/asio one
giant library. I know you're talking about only the docs. But if you
feel you need to do it for the docs, you've likely intertwined the
concepts which determine the design and scope of each library. Bad idea.