Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Server application won't bind to ports on IP address other than my internal ones
From: Bill Somerville (bill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-10 18:27:02

On 10/01/2019 18:21, Osman Zakir via Boost-users wrote:
> It's definitely the second one.  I don't even need all the time in the
> world to figure that out.  But why is bind() telling me that my
> external IP address is invalid?  How do I find out what happened?  I'm
> no expert in network programming, so I need some help here.

Perhaps you are behind a NAT router and are using port forwarding to
route traffic to and from your deployment host. That host will have no
network interfaces with the address that is your publicly visible IP
address so you cannot bind to that address, but you do not need to, just
bind to the address of a network interface that is connected to the
router, the NAT translation and port forwarding will do the rest for
you. You can also, more easily, bind to the wildcard address and let
your local router work out how to route traffic.

Regards
Bill Somerville.