Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Server application won't bind to ports on IP address other than my internal ones
From: Bill Somerville (bill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-11 22:27:46

On 11/01/2019 21:42, Osman Zakir via Boost-users wrote:
> I built the HTTP server example from Asio and tried to run it.  Same
> problem.  I set up port forwarding for port 8080, passed 0.0.0.0 as
> the address in command line arguments and tried to visit my external
> IP address in my browser (wrote an HTML page to act as a landing
> page).  Can't reach the app, as with my own server application.  So
> either it's both of the possibilities mentioned before, or just that
> firewall needs to configured properly.  Except it already seems like
> the firewall is allowing both applications through.  Maybe there's
> something in the configuration that I'm still missing, though.

If you are behind a NAT router then I don't think you can access a
service port at the external IP address the NAT is actually doing
translation for. To test within the LAN behind the NAT router simply use
the local host address, either the loopback if you are on the server
host or via the server host LAN address. The port forwarding is only
valid for incoming external traffic to the NAT router. This is one good
reason why your server should bind to the wildcard address so that you
can test it via any of it's host's addresses.

Regards
Bill Somerville.