Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Server application won't bind to ports on IP address other than my internal ones
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-14 16:02:29

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 7:37 AM Svante Karlsson via Boost-users
<boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Try googling it.

First I would like to extend my most sincere apologies, as it seems
Osman infected the Boost mailing lists using the Beast github
repository as a vector. I originally learned of Osman from the issues
he opened against Beast, such as:

<https://github.com/boostorg/beast/issues/958>

I helped him at first, but then I noticed a consistent pattern.
Guidance is ignored, and more questions are simply asked. Questions
which could have been answered on their own, and I could tell from the
repeat questions that there was little to no effort invested in
finding a solution. It seems like Osman's default strategy is "ask
first." Which I suppose makes sense from a game-theory perspective, if
you discount to zero the value of your reputation in the community. It
costs almost nothing to ask, and the payout could in theory be
significant (remote as the chances are).

He has been doing this for over a year, on various social networks:

<https://www.google.com/search?q=osman+zakir+c%2B%2B>

Even more amusing is that he seems to be charging $3/hour for his "advice:"

<https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01d8016292466f5900/>

Is he delegating his paid consulting work to the community of
volunteers? Who knows. I try to be as helpful as possible but in this
case it is quite clear that Osman is a "help vampire:"

<http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/>

As such, I have taken the step to ban Osman from my personal GitHub
account. I am making this known publicly because of the significant
investments that are being made in answering his questions. I am not
advising anyone on what to do, but the volunteers in the mailing lists
who generously share their time to help others should at least be
fully informed.

Regards