Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Server application won't bind to ports on IP address other than my internal ones
From: Leon Mlakar (leon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-01-14 17:55:55

On 14.01.2019 18:42, Osman Zakir via Boost-users wrote:
> I searched about it on Bing.  How will it help me with making the app
> available to everyone on the Internet?  Doesn't it only help bind to
> any address and port on the internal network?

It doesn't. Since you can't bind to anything else but to your local
network address. But it helps you to avoid failed bind due to invalid IP
address.

Now that we established that there is nothing wrong with the Boost
library in question (and everything with your knowledge on the topic),
next is to configure your router to let external requests into the local
network. Hence hit the texts on networking. Here are two starting pointers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

If you decide to skip the reading and go straight to asking people,
please do it elsewhere. The topic is way out of scope of this mailing list.

Good luck,

Leon