Subject: Re: [Boost-users] generalize boost macros
From: Gero Peterhoff (gero.peterhoff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-06 20:00:11

>> namespace std
>> {
>> inline float128_t log2(const float128_t& arg)    noexcept
>> {
>>   return log2q(arg);
>> }
>> }
>
> There's no conceivable way we can implement that as a constexpr algorithm.

I know. But I think it is better to offer all functions than non-constexpr than not at all - the function set should always be complete. The functions available so far for float128_t are not constexpr.

But back to the original topic. How do you think about unifying macros to detect available types (including vector extension) ?

I have read in the TODO list of multiprecision that it is planned to offer real 2's complement big-integer (constexpr?). When can i expect it?

PS: I think it's really bad that in the C/C++-standard there are still no mini-floats (float8_t), float16_t, float128_t and u/int128_t and bigger. :-( One persists on the completely outdated nomenclature as short, long int, long long int, long double, no distinction between u/char and u/int8_t (iostream) etc. :-(

thx
Gero